- Rwanda has inherent advantages in the production of avocado and produces a range of avocado varieties such as HASS Avocado, Fuertes, Ettinger, etc. Among the Fuertes, there are more than 15 species which are produced and marketed with high content of fat. The local variety of avocado is also superior in taste and consistency
- Avocados are grown by cooperatives and small scale farmers and are produced almost countrywide. Southern and Eastern provinces are the most productive regions.
- Although, the production is available whole the year, the pick season is from March to August. Our HASS and Fuertes avocados are highly appreciated on the international market due to its unique high quality and appearance.
- The annual production is estimated at 10,000 MT a year dominated by Fuertes
- Rwandan avocados are commercially valuable, and are cultivated in tropical climates producing a green-skinned, fruit that ripens after harvesting. The fruit is primarily pear-shaped, but some varieties are also almost round. They can weigh from 150 gr to 275 gr each.
- Avocados are used not only in salads and the ever popular guacamole, but also in breads, desserts, main dishes, and in non-culinary creams for facials and body massages.
- Avocados provide nearly 20 essential nutrients, including fiber, potassium, Vitamin E, B-vitamins and folic acid. They also act as a "nutrient booster" by enabling the body to absorb more fat-soluble nutrients, such as alpha and beta-carotene and lutein, in foods that are eaten with the fruit.
- Out of 32 varieties available in the country, three are grown for export those are Hass, Fuertes and Ettinger
Avocado germoplasm available in the country
1. HASS 2. FUERTE DOUGAL 3. ANAHEM
4. FUERTE WEDON 5. WALDIN 6. ZUTANO
7. SIMPSON 8. DICSON 9. DONARD
10. FUKA 11. FUERTE KENYA 12. SILLIMAN
13. CORONA 14. BACON 15. RENCO
16. SIMOND 17. COLLENSON 18. ETTINGER
19. LULA 20. NO 841 21. CHOQUETTE
22. BOOTH 7 23. BOOTH 8 24. NO850
25. MESA 26. EDRANOR 27. FUERTE ALTHUR
28. IRVING 29. NO 1005 30. NOELLA
31. JALINA 32. PUEBLA