- Rwanda is arguably one of the best destinations in the region for floriculture development in terms of excellent Agro-climatical conditions, Governance, Business environment and Institutional support available for pioneer floriculture projects.
- Her high altitude ranging from 1400 m to over 2400 m ASL, fertile soils, plenty of rainfall throughout the year of between 900 mm to 1,500 mm and day temperature 20 to 30ºC and night temperature 5 to 20ºC , Cheap labor at daily wage range of US$ 1.10 to 2.20 ,plenty of clean water form numerous rivers and lakes makes it an enviable destination for floriculture development as compared to her neighbors.
- Rwanda has the plan to develop 650 ha of flowers up to 2017 and appropriate sites have been earmarked
- Infrastructures are well rated and there are at least 7 flights per week to Amsterdam, Brussels and Dubai in addition to flights to the region which include Kenya, South Africa, Ethiopia, Congo, Brazzaville, Libreville, DRC, Gabon, Tanzania, Nigeria , etc.
- A cargo freight of Turkish airline and Martin air touches Kigali on every Monday and Friday from Amsterdam respectively with attractive charges of as low as $1.6/ Kilo to Amsterdam(Turkish) and $1.0/ Kilo to Dubai ,Nigeria, Johannesburg, Accra and Lagos(Rwanda air).
Summer flowersRwanda has conducive environment of a number of summer flowers. There are four districts, namely: Musanze, Nyabihu, Rubavu and Rulindo which have ideal conditions in both climate and soils as well as experienced growers to grow these flowers. Samples were sent to the market agents in Netherlands and were found to be of high quality.
Summer flower varieties that can be grown in the country include Agapanthus blue & white, Tuberose, Erygium, White arum, Ornis(ornithogalum), Mollucella, Craspedia, Ami visnaga, Crocosmia, Arabicum, Buplerium and Carthamus for export purpose while a other smaller varieties and foliage are for the domestic market.
Flagship project: GISHARI FLOWER PARK
- Gishari sector (Rwamagana District) was identified to have ideal conditions in terms of altitude, existence of sufficient water and its location nearby Kigali.
- The Gishari flower park project has been designed by Government of Rwanda to facilitate investment in the nascent floriculture industry, to increase export of non-traditional and high value products. This government launched initiative is to be implemented on a public private partnership basis
- A flower park is been developed on 35 ha in Gishari ,only 60 km from Kigali at 1500m ASL to produce green house premium intermediate standard roses for export market.
- The project development is underway now standing at 35%.It is expected to produce 44 million stems per year on completion at a projected price of $0.2 per stem.
- The project will be developed from a capital investment of $ 45/m2 and a starting running capital of $15/m2 per year.
OTHER IDENTIFIED SITES FOR FLOWERS
An investor can start a new project from the scratch on Purely Private bases in which case the Government will put most of the basic infrastructure in place, identify and provide sites that are in line with rose/flower production development on the following sites.