French green beans or haricot verts double as a legume and vegetable, contributing to eye and heart health and diabetes management.
- Major varieties grown in Rwanda: Vanila, Star, Theresa and Serengeti.
- Cultivation localitions in Rwanda: French beans are current grown in Gasabo, Rwamagana, Kayonza, Bugesera, Kirehe and Nyagatare districts.
- Climatic conditions for growth: Grown at air temperatures of 20°–25°C and soil temperatures of 18°–24°C.
- Soils: Grown over a wide range of well-drained, alluvial friable soils with the optimum soil pH of 5.5–6.8. Lime is used to increase the soil pH. Soil aeration is done for optimum
- Destination Markets: Burundi, DRC, Uganda, United Arab Emirates, Belgium, UK, France